Sunday, October 11, 2009

A bit short of a nit

In the teaser of the JAG episode "Fortunate Son," Marine Lt. Bao Hien (Dustin Nguyen) is apprehended by the INS at a sweat shop exploiting Vietnamese immigrants. Hien shows his military ID card to the arresting INS agent (James Denton, before he hit it big on Desperate Housewives). The ID card Hien carries looks nothing like the one I had when I served (though my service predates this particular JAG episode by a few years). In any case, it's easy for me to accept that in this fictional world, military IDs are very different from those used in real life. What I'm having trouble with is the rank insignia shown on the ID card. It looks like O-3 Captain's bars, but in gold. (Actual military IDs, as I knew them, have the letter dash number rank designation but not a picture of the rank insignia). I paused the DVD and zoomed in, but then I only became more confused. At 4x, it looked like a silver First Lieutenant's bar on a gold field. But even if I was sure of this one way or the other, nits relying on freeze-frame, and worse, freeze-frame with zoom, are inadmissible in this forum.

No comments: