Saturday, October 30, 2010

Only my opponent lets violent criminals out early

Depending on which political attack ads you believe, Judge Denise Langford Morris is either tough on crime, or a bleeding heart softy who lets violent criminals out early, or even off the hook altogether. For some reason, "I never sent an innocent man to jail" just isn't a selling point for elected judges (as is the case with Michigan Supreme Court judges).

Personally, and this is just me talking, I'm more concerned about how a potential top state law enforcement officer would handle big insurance and product liability cases. For at least one of these points, there is an attack ad: Bill Schuette, a Court of Appeals judge running for Attorney General, supposedly sided with an insurance company in a case involving a quadriplegic victim of an accident because he took money from the insurance company in the case.

According to LegalNews.com, Schuette did receive a $200 contribution from an individual associated with an insurance company years prior to the case being heard in appellate court. That would be like some random guy giving me a dollar today and then two years later when I'm on jury duty on a case involving that person I vote not guilty. I probably wouldn't even remember the dollar I received from the accused at that point. (Schuette probably had to ask his campaign manager to look it up in the database in order to figure out what exactly his opponents were blowing out of proportion).

Maybe this year we'll get more nuanced voting in the Attorney General and Supreme Court slots. But I'm not using the word "nuanced" here to mean "better informed," just "not all straight down party lines."

No comments: