Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lasso that shuttle!

I've been watching G. I. Joe very slowly (which is to mean that the individual discs of the series are spaced very far apart on my Netflix queue). And yet each episode that I watch provides me enough material I could write a whole Nitpicker's Guide to G. I. Joe, as each episode is jam-packed with scientific absurdities and military inaccuracies. But I'm disinclined to do that, as it would be so easy as to be boring, like shooting fish in a barrel.

However, in the first two episodes of the "Pyramid of Darkness" subseries (Season 1, Part 1, Disc 3, to use the Netflix designation) there are two nits that I feel compelled to comment on. In that first episode in which Cobra begins assembling the Pyramid of Darkness, the Joes launch a space shuttle to go over to their space station. A whole bunch of Cobra soldiers show up and assemble a net with which to capture the shuttle. So, a shuttle strapped to rockets with enough kick to escape Earth's gravity can be held up by a net? Positively absurd. Even if the net is strong enough to deal with an upgoing spacecraft, what would happen in real life is that the people on the ground throwing up the net would get taken up into the air, and out into space if they manage to hold on. Naturally Cobra fails to capture the shuttle, not because of the utter idiocy of the idea, but because the Joes cut the net.

In the next episode, the Joes show up at an aircraft carrier and talk to Admiral Ledger (Hal Rayle), who emphasizes that the Joes' use of the carrier is strictly "temporary." Never mind that the Admiral, who we're to believe is the skipper of the vessel, isn't wearing a baseball cap identifying said vessel (as we've seen so often illustrated on JAG). Why is the G. I. Joe logo painted on an aircraft carrier that is only for their temporary use!!??

No comments: