Monday, March 1, 2010

The conveniently talkative doctor

One thing I find so fascinating about Medium is how often Allison's dreams are exactly correct, yet she misunderstands them in one crucial detail. Over the course of the episode, she obtains clarification on the exact meaning of the episode's first dream. There are a few stand-alone episodes (not Part I of a two-parter) that have a dream at the end. In those cases, the dream has to be perfectly clear to Allison and to the viewers.

A good example of this is the episode that was rerun last Friday, "You Give Me Fever." With the episode's running time almost up, Allison goes to bed fretting that the bad guy has gotten away scot-free. Then she has a dream in which the bad guy is in a hospital bed with a fever, unable to speak, shaking. A doctor explains to him (and to Allison, and, by extension, to the viewers) that the bad guy has a high fever, and that there is hope that he could recover. Then, when the doctor leaves, the bad guy's ex-boyfriend, who was lurking in the shadows, approaches the patient and explains how the bad guy's attempt to infect him with the virus actually backfired on him. Allison wakes up, pleasantly surprised to have learned that the bad guy does get his comeuppance after all.

It is the doctor's monologue that strikes me as unrealistic here. I get the feeling that if (Heaven forbid) I was ever in such a medical condition that I couldn't talk, my doctor wouldn't bother talking to me. My doctor would perhaps talk to my family. But this doesn't rise to the level of a nit because there isn't something in the episode to indicate that the doctor would have no reason to talk to the patient; the doctor might even think that by talking to the patient, he might be able to keep up the patient's spirits and perhaps effect a recovery. Still, the two monologues seem like a major plot contrivance in a rush to wrap everything with a neat little bow within the hour.

No comments: