Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I get called a man a lot

Tonight CBS pre-empted New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried for a special showing of I Get That a Lot, a one-note show in which celebrities impersonate common folks like dry cleaner attendants and parking valets, while trying to deny they're the celebrity they really are.

There is hardly anything to nitpick in such a predictable show, but I just had to say something about Rachael Ray being called a "culinary maestro." It's one thing to make English words gender-neutral, such as calling Halle Berry an actor rather than an actress (I'm all for that), but it still sounds a little jarring to use in a gender-neutral manner a loanword from a very gendered language such as Italian. I know Spanish and Italian are different, and that having studied Spanish in high school does not qualify me as an expert in Italian. But I do know that in Italian, just like in Spanish, most nouns ending in O are masculine. So to me it sounds a little insulting to use such a noun for a woman.

No comments: