Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kirk, the eternal captain

I was not the first to complain about how quickly Kirk goes from cadet to captain in the new Star Trek film. In general I have trouble with how the film rushes to put every Enterprise crewmember in their "right" place. The original Star Trek series suggests a much more realistic history for the Enterprise roster, such as having Spock served under Captain Pike for some time before serving under Kirk.

But I was thinking, after watching the rerelease of the Genesis trilogy, that given that Kirk is demoted from Admiral to Captain in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and remained at that rank at least until Star Trek: Generations, and the Federation President's remarks that Kirk is best-suited to be a starship captain, that perhaps it's not such a bad thing that Kirk rises to that rank so quickly in the new film. I don't know if Orci and Kurtzmann were thinking about these things when they wrote their screenplay. I know they have an audio commentary on Voyage Home, but I haven't gotten around to listening to it.

No comments: