Thursday, September 3, 2009

Aw come on, Denise, you can do better

So Lisa's got me watching Army Wives on DVD. New episodes air on Lifetime, derided by Family Guy as "television for idiots." But I'm really liking Army Wives. There is just enough action adventure elements in it to keep me interested long enough to start to care about what happens to the characters.

I've seen all of Season 1 and now I'm almost done watching Season 2. Throughout Season 1, I was almost wanting to say to the television screen: "Denise, why don't you just dump Frank? He treats you more like his personal property than like his wife." Sure he's an Army officer, but does he have anything else going for him that would justify staying with him? Oh, and he's the father of Denise's son, Jeremy. But Jeremy's grown up now, old enough to join the Army (which he did). I know this is on the level of psychology, and the human heart, which doesn't always make sense, so this doesn't yet rise to the level of a nit. Still, I feel like I have to say something.

Now, I do understand Denise Sherwood is a much different character from Major Sarah MacKenzie on JAG. But I haven't watched as many episodes of JAG as Lisa has, so I can separate Catherine Bell as Denise Sherwood, wife of an Army major, from Catherine Bell as Sarah MacKenzie, a Marine major. And even so, it seemed to me in Season 1 that Denise is strong-willed enough to divorce Frank. So, as I watch Season 2, I'm happy to see Denise taking steps towards being a strong, independent woman. Keep that motorcycle, if that's what you want to do! Keep seeing that young doctor! Etc.

No comments: