Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Really, Director Vance?

It must have been a couple of weeks ago that I got back into watching NCIS: Los Angeles. They've been rerunning the last few episodes of Season 2. In the season finale, "Familia," we learn that NCIS director Leon Vance (Rocky Carroll) backs up all his critical files on his Microsoft SkyDrive. He asks Nell Jones (RenĂ©e Felice Smith) to disable the keystroke recognition software on her computer before he types in his password—

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute! Director Vance, head of an American intelligence agency, keeps his critical files on the Web just like that? Are you kidding me? Does this make any sense to you? It's one thing to hide things in plain sight, but this just seems idiotic to me. I don't keep critical files on the Web, and I don't even have a security clearance.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm told that at some places that deal with issues of national security, they remove the hard drives from the computers and store them in a vault at night. This on top of the fact that the janitors have to have security clearance: so, if one of them were to steal a computer, they would still not get any sensitive info out of it. Also, CIA and NSA employees can't even take cellphones, flash drives, etc., into the CIA or NSA Headquarters. I imagine similar measures are in effect at other intelligence agencies.

This takes the cake as the most ridiculous, stupid and awkward product placement I have ever seen in a TV show.

No comments: