Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Closed captioning spoils joke, sort of

The first time I watched the Scrubs episode "My Fault," in which J. D.'s girlfriend Danni (Tara Reid) screams her own name during sex, I'm fairly sure I was watching it at medium volume on prime time NBC. (J. D. and the Janitor drop coy references to popular past NBC shows like Seinfeld and Friends). The joke is that Danni has been cheating on J. D. with a guy named Danny.

Just a short while ago I got done watching it on MyTV 20 Detroit at low volume with closed captions. I already know the joke that Danni did not scream her own name during sex. But if I didn't, perhaps the impact of the joke would have been lessened. Before the sex scene, J. D. tells Danni "Nobody cares, Danni." The captioning shows that her name is Danni with an I. Then, in the sex scene, Danni yells "Oh, Danny," with a Y. The joke is perhaps spoiled.

Although I suppose nitpickers would be complaining if the closed captioners had tried to preserve the joke by captioning Danni's scream with an I instead of a Y, or if instead they spelled her name with a Y instead of an I for the entire episode.

No comments: