Monday, April 20, 2009

Why so surprised at Susan Boyle?

Normally I don't nitpick reality TV, but I just have to say something about Susan Boyle. By now you've probably seen the YouTube clip from Britain's Got Talent in which the 47-year-old woman is met with great skepticism, and then she starts singing and everyone is amazed. Would we be making a big deal about a beautiful woman with the same voice? What is so special about Susan Boyle? There are plenty of people in the world who can sing very well. There are plenty of people in the world who are ugly. And there are plenty of ugly people in the world who can sing very well. And there are good-looking people who can't really sing: why do you think lip-synching was invented?

I know you don't want to say it, but Susan Boyle is ugly: she makes Mimi Bobeck (Kathy Kinney, from the Drew Carey Show) look like a beauty queen. I'm not saying Susan Boyle should want to conform to the Hollywood standards of beauty, but would it kill her to put on a little make-up? Don't go to the Mimi Bobeck extreme, but a dab'll do you. Regardless, I don't think there is anything surprising about Susan Boyle. I wish her well, I might even buy her album, but I'm not going to pretend she's done anything groundbreaking.

No comments: